Children at a summer program were evacuated the Rocky Hill High School Tuesday morning after a potentially dangerous chemical was spilled inside.
The Summerscape teen adventure camp had to quickly change locations after a bottle of Nitric Acid, which is a chemical found in things like dyes and fertilizers, was dropped inside the building around 7:30 a.m.
According to the National Institutes of Health, it can cause chronic bronchitis and other problems with long exposure to its vapors.
"The custodians were in the science wing and they were doing some cleaning, some summer cleaning," said Mark F. Zito, who is the superintendent for Rocky Hill Public Schools. "And they accidentally knocked over a beaker of chemicals."
There were no reported injuries and all campers/kids were taken to the Griswold Middle School.
"They handled it very quickly," said parent Dawn Rychlec of Rocky Hill. "I came from the road ready to drop off and they said just go to Griswold."
An environmental crew was called in to clean up the spill. The cleanup ended around 1 p.m. and the building was given the all clear.
Parents could not say enough about the town's concern for the kids' safety and the popular summer program.
"They kept the kids busy all day and they're tired out at the end of the day," said parent Cynthia Corvo of Rocky Hill. "And they've had fun, made friends, done fun things."
Summerscape will be open Wednesday.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.