A 9-year-old boy is in stable condition after suffering burns while apparently playing with a lighter Monday at his aunt's home, according to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office.
The boy, who lives on Rockvale Road, was staying nearby with his aunt, six siblings and cousins when he apparently set his shirt on fire.
Investigators said his aunt and 11-year-old cousin wrapped a blanket around him to extinguish the fire.
The child was taken by a medical helicopter to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.
"At this time, it appears the fire was accidental," Detective Randy Groce said in a news release. "Probably the child was playing with a lighter. It is still under investigation to confirm everything."
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.