A Palmer town councilor is speaking out on the approved casino referendum in Springfield.
In a statement to CBS 3, Paul Burns congratulates Mayor Domenic Sarno; however, he says Mohegan Sun's proposal is still what's best for Western Mass.
"As tonight's results indicate, I am sure that each community will approve a casino. The real question, moving forward, is which proposal will provide the greatest benefits to the commonwealth. With that being the real question the answer is clear, the Palmer proposal is the strongest providing the largest developable area and the greatest ancillary development opportunity," said Burns.
Here are the bullet points Burns lists as examples on why Mohegan Sun is the better choice for the sole casino license for Western Mass:
· MGM proposes but doesn't guaranty developments of about $800 million.
· Mohegan Sun proposes a $1 billion development.
· MGM plans to develop 15 acres.
· Mohegan Sun Palmer proposes to develop up to 300 acres.
· While MGM will provide some economic development inside the South End of Springfield, Mohegan Sun Palmer will be an economic development driver along the Route 20 corridor from Worcester to Springfield.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
A city-owned car that is issued to Mayor Alex Morse was involved in a drunken driving arrest just after midnight on Saturday.More >
Police were called to the rotary on their side of the Memorial Bridge for a car crash on Saturday afternoon.More >
The Northampton Airport hosted its second annual Fly it Forward event on Saturday, which promotes aviation to women.More >
CBS 3 media partner Mass Live and The Republican reported that the high speed chase started just before 12:30 a.m. on Interstate 291.More >
Four city residents are without a home Saturday night following a fire at their duplex on Ashley Avenue.More >