Officers shot a man who barricaded himself inside a house near Las Vegas Boulevard and Pebble Road Tuesday afternoon. (FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
Authorities say the intruder who barricaded himself inside a south Las Vegas home after being found in only his underwear has died from wounds sustained from a police-involved shooting.
The Clark County Coroner's office confirmed a death as a result of the incident that happened Tuesday but did not release the name of the person killed.
The death stemmed from a standoff Tuesday between police and a suspect at a home on Crystal Drive, near Las Vegas Boulevard and Pebble Road, which ended at about 8:30 p.m. with an officer-involved shooting.
Police said a homeowner came home at about 5 p.m. and found a stranger sitting on a couch in his underpants. The homeowner called police and fled the house.
Officers said they witnessed the man holding a knife, possibly a butcher knife. He refused orders to leave the house.
Police said that when SWAT made entry into the house in order to detain the man, he lunged at them and two officers opened fire. He was taken to University Medical Center, where he later died.
Police said they believe the man, in his mid 30s, could be under the influence of narcotics. They also said the man had earlier in the day been reported missing by his ex-wife and may have attempted to break into other homes in the neighborhood prior to the standoff.
Surrounding homes were evacuated.
On Wednesday, Metro Robbery and Homicide Capt. Brett Primas gave details of the incident on YouTube.
Stay with FOX5 for updates on this developing story.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >