Man shot after allegedly attacking officers with axe - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man shot after allegedly attacking officers with axe


A man was shot and hospitalized Monday night after authorities say he attacked officers with an axe.

Around 10 p.m. Monday Springfield police officers responded to a call for "unknown trouble" on Irvington Street. Upon arrival it was immediately clear there was a problem.

"Three officers arrived on the scene. As they tried to enter into the house an unknown subject tried to hinder them from going inside the house, but the officers could hear inside a male and a female involved in some type of altercation and the female was screaming 'he's going to kill me stop him, he's going to kill me,'" said Springfield Police Sgt. John Delaney.

Officers forced their way into the home to find a suspect now identified as Nicholas Montel swinging a hatchet.

"He came at the officers and he came swinging and striking at the officers," said Delaney. "The officers backed off. One officer was able to grab onto his arm and as he was doing this Montel grabbed the officer by the throat."

After that police say Montel swung the axe again. Another officer managed to stop him and the officer who was being grabbed by the throat was pushed to the ground.

"A struggle ensued he went after the officer on the ground with the hatchet," said Delaney. "And then two officers discharged their weapons to stop that officer from getting seriously injured if not killed."

The officers immediately provided first aid to Montel.

"While they were doing this a female jumped on the officer's back to try to stop him performing CPR. She was quickly arrested," said Delaney.

The woman, Erica Cartagena, was charged with disorderly conduct. Montel is facing charges for assault with intent to murder, three counts on three officers and two counts of assault and battery on a police officer.

Montel is in serious condition in the hospital under police guard. He is expected to survive.

The officers involved are not being identified at this time. They did receive cuts and bruises but are OK.

The case is under investigation by the police department and the district attorney's office.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation).  All right reserved.