Connecticut recalls shellfish with bacteria from Sound - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Connecticut recalls shellfish with bacteria from Sound


Warm water in Long Island Sound is being blamed for a naturally occurring bacteria in Long Island Sound that sickened at least five people who ate oysters, clams and other shellfish from shallow areas near Norwalk and Westport.

The state has recalled shellfish before due to pollution from storm water runoff or similar reasons. But the Department of Agriculture says a recall announced Monday due to naturally occurring bacteria is a first.

David Carey, director of the agency's Bureau of Aquaculture, says the extreme heat in mid-July is partly to blame for the warm water in shallow areas of the Sound. The state has shut shellfish harvesting areas until September when the water is expected to cool down.

The following licensed Connecticut original shippers, who are also known as harvesters are associated with Recall:

  • CT 69 SS Norm Bloom and Son
  • CT 100 SS Hillard Bloom Shellfish
  • CT 38 SS Michael Oravez
  • CT 1247 SS A.C. Stabell *In state only
  • CT 154 SS Tallmadge Land and Sea
  • CT 136 SS Pramer Oyster

The following dealers received notice from state officials that their product was affected:

  • CT: Jeff Northrup dba Westport Aquaculture CT 40 SS
  • CT: CT Shellfish CT 167 SS
  • CT: Sono Seafood CT 253 SS
  • CT: Steven Burt Seafood CT 170 RS
  • CT: Steven Burt Seafood CT 170 RS
  • MA: Cape Cod MA 3257 SS
  • MA: North Coast Seafood MA 437 SP
  • MA: Cape Cod MA 3257 SS
  • MA: Foley MA 4264 SS
  • MA: Pangaea MA 9169 SS
  • MA: Steve Connolly MA 3075 SS/MA 4793 RP
  • ME: Spinney Creek ME 271 DP
  • ME: JP Shellfish ME 352 SS
  • NY: Bronx Fish NY 523 RS
  • NY: Val's Ocean NY 521 SS
  • NY: John Nagle Co. MA 940 SS
  • NY: K & B Shellfish NY 708 SP
  • NY: Grand Central Oyster bar Restaurant
  • NY: Blue Island NY 847 SS/NY 750 SS
  • NY: Meat Without Feet NY 783 SS
  • NY: Mr. Shellfish LLC NY 827 SS
  • PA: Samuel and Son PA 2566 SP
  • RI: American Mussel RI 234 SS

If ingested, the bacteria that's known as Vibrio parahaemolyticuscan cause acute stomach illness.

The Connecticut Department of Public Health officials said any establishments shoud report any illnesses.

For more information of the recall, click here,

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed