Health officials warn CT resident about shellfish bacteria - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Health officials warn CT resident about shellfish bacteria

Posted: Updated:
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

Residents are being cautioned about the dangers of eating raw or undercooked shellfish following several recent cases of Vibrio parahaemolyticus infection.

There have been 19 reported cases of Vibrio parahaemolyticus infection since June, according to officials with the Connecticut Department of Public Health. Over the past two years, there were seven cases during that same time period.

People usually get Vibrio parahaemolyticus infection from "eating raw or undercooked shellfish, particularly oysters," public health officials said.

"The unusual number of cases of Vibrio infection is cause for concern," said Dr. Matthew Cartter, state epidemiologist for DPH. "It tells us that Vibrio bacteria are present in the area and people should use caution when eating or harvesting shellfish."

People can prevent the infection by just cooking shellfish until they open or at 145 degrees for at least 15 seconds. The officials with the Food and Drug Administration offered the following cooking tips for oysters:

  • Steamed for four to 9 minutes
  • Boiled for three to five minutes

Vibrio parahaemolyticus infection can cause people who suffer from it to experience the following symptoms:

  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal cramping
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting

For more information about the shellfish bacteria, click here.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.