HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -
Following the first confirmed human case of West Nile virus and with the holiday weekend coming up, Department of Public Health officials are offering ways to avoid the disease.
State officials advised Connecticut residents to take the following precautions when outdoors:
- Avoid outdoor activities at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Use mosquito repellent according to the manufacturer's directions on the label (10 percent or less DEET for children, and no more than 30 percent DEET for adults). Always wash treated skin when returning indoors.
- Avoid application of repellents with DEET on infants and small children.
- Cover arms and legs of children playing outdoors.
- Cover playpens or carriages with mosquito netting.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.