Norwalk elementary school lockdown lifted - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Norwalk elementary school lockdown lifted

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Norwalk Hour Photo: Norwalk Hour
Photo: Norwalk Hour Photo: Norwalk Hour

The lockdown at Cranbury Elementary School in Norwalk has been lifted after a report of shots fired Wednesday morning.

Norwalk police said they received a report from a teacher inside the school reporting what they believed to be gunshots from outside the school.

The school was immediately locked down as a precaution, as officers responded to the area.

Two police officers who were in the area didn't locate anything suspicious. Police also spoke with people in the area, and no one else reported hearing gunshots.

"At this time, police have discovered no evidence that shots were fired," police said in a statement Wednesday.

Parents heard about the lockdown and they rushed to the school not knowing what they would find when they got there.

"I had to drive from Milford, so I felt like I had to drive from California," said Melanie O'Malley, who has a first-grader at the school. "It was a long trip, very nerve-wracking."

Principal Robin Ives, who lives in the Sandy Hook section of Newtown, immediately came out and talked to parents, who came to the school during the lockdown. She urged them to keep their child in class.

"I'm going to trust the schools instincts. We've only been here a week," Ives said. "It's our first time, brand new at the school, so my nerves are a little shot but I have trust for the staff that it's the right decision."

The lockdown was lifted after police completed a search of the surrounding area and the walking trails at Cranbury Park. The lockdown lasted about 45 minutes, police said.

"A police presence at the school has been maintained through the afternoon to allay any fears or security concerns," police said.

The cause of the sounds remains under investigation. Investigators said a construction site is near the school, but police determined that was not the cause of the noise.

Some parents said they were still shaken up even after the all clear was given. They said what happened in Connecticut last year makes this too real.

"Even thinking about them, all that rushing in my mind," said Marisol Vazquez of Norwalk. "I prayed and prayed. Everything is fine."

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.