UConn building reopened after chemical spill - WFSB 3 Connecticut

UConn building reopened after chemical spill

Posted: Updated:

A building at the University of Connecticut campus in Storrs was evacuated after a chemical spill Thursday afternoon.

Tetrahydrofuran, which is a solvent that can be a skin irritant, spilled at the Torrey Life Sciences Building, which is located in the 100 block of Auditorium Road, around 1 p.m., university officials said.

The Torrey Life Sciences Building was evacuated as a result of a gallon of Tetrahydrofuran spilling, university officials said.

The Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection Emergency Response Unit as well as a mobile lab were called to the scene. The UConn Fire assisted in the cleanup.

The spilled Tetrahydrofuran, which DEEP officials said has "an extremely pungent odor," was cleaned up and the building was ventilated. Tetrahydrofuran is not "very toxic," DEEP officials said.

No injuries have been reported, DEEP officials said and the building re-opened late Thursday afternoon.

After the odor was gone and air samples were taken by DEEP officials, people were allowed to re-enter the building around 5 p.m.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.