A Connecticut inmate whose death sentence was overturned on appeal says he is on a hunger strike because he continues to be subjected to the same treatment as those still facing execution.
In a telephone interview from death row, Eduardo Santiago tells The Associated Press he wants privileges granted to other inmates, including gymnasium and commissary access. He said Wednesday that he stopped eating a week ago.
A state prisons spokesman says the department took safety concerns and other factors into consideration in deciding to keep Santiago on death row.
Santiago was sentenced to death in 2005 for the murder-for-hire killing of Joseph Niwinski in West Hartford.
The state Supreme Court ordered a new penalty phase last year, saying the trial judge wrongly withheld key evidence.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.