Eddiz Walter was killed at Duck's Place on July 18
Chase Johnson is accused of murdering Eddiz Walter in Springfield
Dayton, Ohio -
U.S. Marshals surrounded a Dayton, Ohio apartment complex Thursday afternoon after murder suspect Chase Johnson was spotted by police more than 700 miles away from the place where he's accused of gunning down 24-year-old Eddiz Walter.
Neighbors living near him in Dayton were stunned when he was arrested after a brief standoff with U.S. Marshals.
"I had no idea that he was a murderer. Oh my god, that's scary because we have a lot of kids on this street," said Kim Johnson who lives nearby.
Springfield police say Johnson is the one who pulled the trigger shortly after midnight on July 18 at the State Street bar Duck's Place, killing Walter and making him the city's 12th murder victim of the year.
Police say it all happened after an argument at the bar's outdoor patio.
Witnesses described the scene to CBS 3 the day after the murder.
"I was just sitting here by the bar, observing everybody, laughing and talking and then shots rang out...everybody was running trying to get away obviously. A bullet doesn't have no one's name," said LaDawn Owens who was at the bar the night of the murder.
Since then the bar has been shut down.
Chase is currently in a Montgomery County Jail.
Springfield police tell CBS 3 he will face an extradition hearing and be sent back here to Massachusetts.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, August 22 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 17:17:39 GMT
Portland city leaders are considering a plan to build tiny houses for homeless people to help get them off the streets. The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at TheMore >
The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at The Caravan Tiny House Hotel in northeast Portland.More >
Friday, August 22 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:57:07 GMT
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years, according to an affidavit. More >
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years. That's according to an affidavit released Thursday. William Richard Pryor, 68, is in federal custody charged with transportation of minors with intent of sexual activity. (WARNING: This story contains explicit details that may be offensive to some readers.)More >