Firearms, explosive chemicals found in Fairfield home - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Firearms, explosive chemicals found in Fairfield home

Posted: Updated:
Joseph Callahan Joseph Callahan

A shocking discovery was made inside a Fairfield home Tuesday night after police said explosive chemicals, hundreds of gallons of jet fuel, nearly 200 firearms and "tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition" were discovered during a well-being check.

At a news conference Wednesday morning, police said someone out-of-state called police to have them check on the homeowner, identified as Joseph Callahan, because they thought the Bronson Road home may have been burglarized.

When officers arrived, they didn't find a burglary scene. Instead police found the explosive chemicals and called the bomb squad.

"To have chemicals and firearms and making explosives, that's a puzzle for disaster," Fairfield police Chief Gary MacNamara said at the news conference.

Police said Callahan had a hobby of rockets, and don't know what triggered the move to producing explosive devices.

"We had an individual who has a lot of chemicals, and at some point crossed the line into taking those chemicals and making explosive devices," MacNamara said.

In addition to the explosives, police said between 150 and 200 guns were found, as well as tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition. Police said the guns and ammunition were valued at more than $100,000.

"This is a very cluttered house," MacNamara said. "There are weapons scattered throughout the house."

Eyewitness News has learned that about 250 gallons of jet fuel.

"There is a significant amount of jet fuel on the property," MacNamara said. "We don't know what he was using that for, but that is very volatile." 

The home was stabilized, but police said after the discovery there was a suggested evacuation of five homes near the incident.

"There was no immediate danger, however, let's face it, when you have an individual storing chemicals, hundreds of firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo and explosive devices, I think the neighbors are happy we got him," McNamara said.

Some neighbors decided to leave, and others just stayed put.

"You never know people until something like this comes out," said Naumn Rafique, of Fairfield.

Callahan was taken to an area hospital Tuesday night where he was being evaluated. Callahan has not been released from the hospital as of Wednesday evening. 

Eyewitness News has learned Callahan is in his 60s and has a background in chemistry. Callahan worked at the gun manufacturing company Remington Arms in the mid-'90s.

Police said Callahan could be arrested and is looking at facing a few charges for the explosive devices.

There was still a large police presence at the home and investigators could be at the home into Thursday morning. Part of Bronson Road was closed for more than 15 hours and reopened before 5 p.m.

The reasoning behind the road closure was so officials could remove the firearms out of the home, then work to remove the chemicals.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.