Family upset after vet turns away dog - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Family upset after vet turns away dog


A family in Stafford witnessed their dog get hit by a motor vehicle this week and they said their own veterinarian would not help them due to money. 

The Kauffmans watched their dog get hit by a car on Route 190. The dog's owners said they weren't upset with the driver because he stopped and wanted to help.

Instead, they're upset with their vet, who they said turned them away.

"Shutting the door on a someone with a dying dog, that's a little harsh," said Amber Kauffman.

Kauffman said that's what happened when her boyfriend rushed their 8-month-old pup, Major, to Stafford Veterinary Center, which is just is minutes from their home.

Kauffman said her friend called the clinic to alert them that a pitbull mix needed help. She said that friend was grilled about how they'd pay the bill and "hung up on."

"It's not her dog. She didn't know if I was going to pay via cash, check [credit card]," Kauffman said. "I have the money to pay. She just didn't know at that point in time."

Eyewitness News went to Stafford Veterinary Center to get answers. The veterinarian's office told Eyewitness News Kauffman's friend was yelling and screaming on the phone.

"When people get abusive to him, it's really hard to say, 'OK, I'm going to come out of my house at 9:00 at night and help these people,'" said Stafford Veterinary Center owner Judith Mordasky.

Mordasky said it's also part of their procedure to ask about payment.

"It's not just about the money, but the money is a standard question," said David Mordasky, who is the veterinarian at the Stafford Veterinary Center. 

Because their veterinarian in Stafford wouldn't help, Kauffman's boyfriend drove the badly injured dog to Bolton, which is 40 minutes away. Major died five minutes after he got there.

Kauffman doesn't know whether the pup would have made it if he was treated at the Stafford Veterinary Center, but said she wishes the vet would have tried.

"Maybe he could have been euthanized 40 minutes prior and gone in peace and not in pain," Kauffman said.

If it can't get much worse, Kauffman's kids witnessed the dog getting hit. So they are trying to understand what happened.

The Stafford Veterinary Center was closed when Major was hit.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.