E. Hartford police continue to investigate death of 2-year-old - WFSB 3 Connecticut

E. Hartford police continue to investigate death of 2-year-old


Police in East Hartford are still investigating the death of a 2-year-old boy who died after being hit by a vehicle in a driveway Saturday afternoon.

Neighbors said a group of children were playing in the yard and the driveway at a home on Morris Court at about 3 p.m. A Ford Expedition backed up and ran over the child, who family members have been identified as Kyaun Jackson, who is from Springfield, MA.

Kyaun was taken to Connecticut Children's Medical Center where he died from skull fractures and brain injuries caused by blunt impact to the head, officials said.

The driver of the vehicle is 42-year-old William Troy Johnson, who is Kyaun's grandmother's boyfriend. 

The crash remains under investigation by the East Hartford Accident Reconstruction Team. Family members told Eyewitness News that the crash was "accidental."

No charges have been filed at this time.

There were several people around the children during the crash, according to family members of Kyaun, including his grandmother, who he was visiting at the time, and other relatives.

"Unfortunately my boyfriend didn't get a chance to get out of the driveway before Kyaun was right there," said his grandmother Kimberly Edwards. "Out of nowhere and I was standing there on the right side and I didn't see. I didn't see the scooter or him."

Before Edwards passed out, she scooped up her grandson's lifeless little body and started running. She said the whole time she was trying to protect his badly injured head.

The mother and father of Kyaun were not home at the time of the crash and Edwards said both of them are "trying to stay strong."

Johnson was hospitalized at Mount Siani in Hartford after the crash because Edwards said he cannot bear the pain of what happened.

"He loved Kyaun," Edwards said. "Kyaun called him 'Toy, Toy.'"

Edwards said Johnson and Kyaun often watched football together.

A volunteer firefighter recruit for the Manchester Fire Department, who lives in the neighborhood, tried to save Kyaun and was able to get the toddler breathing again. Police said the child died later.

A memorial was set up near the driveway where Kyaun died. Edwin Ruiz, the firefighter who tried to save Kyaun, left the shirt he was wearing during the incident at the memorial.

The family told Eyewitness News that they need help with the casket and burial costs. No funeral arrangements have been made at this time.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.