6 people receive treatment for CO poisoning - WFSB 3 Connecticut

6 people receive treatment for CO poisoning


Six people were taken to area hospitals Friday morning after fire officials said they suffered accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emergency crews were called to a house on Hillard Street around 7 a.m. where two women and three children were possibly suffering from CO poisoning.

Fire officials said they found high levels of CO in the home and the six people were taken to a hospital for evaluation.

Later that morning, a man and a woman suffered "possible carbon monoxide problems with possible medical complications" at a home on Santina Drive around 8 a.m.

The male homeowner told fire officials that for the past several weeks, his oil-fired furnace was having problems. 

The woman was taken to an area hospital for evaluation, fire officials said.

"Last Friday's outcomes weren't tragic, but they certainly could have been. The absolutely best protection from carbon monoxide poisoning is prevention," said Manchester Fire Chief Robert Bycholski in a statement Monday.

The following tips were released by the Manchester Fire Department to prevent CO poisoning:

  • Ensure that heating and cooking equipment is properly installed and maintained.
  • Never run vehicles, gas-powered lawn and garden equipment, or gas and charcoal grills in attached garages.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home to warn you of carbon monoxide presence.

Symptoms of CO poisoning are as follows:

  • Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Dizzy spells
  • Confusion
  • Irritability
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Fever

"Fresh air quickly relieves the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning," Bycholski said.

For more information about preventing CO poisoning, call the Manchester Fire Marshal's Office at 860-647-3267.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.