Four women, who said they were sexually assaulted while attending the University of Connecticut and received no help from the school, filed a 38-page federal lawsuit against the school last week.
One of the women, Rosemany Richi, told campus police that she was sexually assaulted by a football player.
UConn Police Chief Barbara O'Connor said that her detectives took the allegations seriously and told former UConn football coach Paul Pasqualoni about the allegations against his player.
"The UConn Police Department notified the Division of Athletics in spring 2013 there was an allegation of misconduct against an athlete. The records at UConn Police Department reflect that on June 18, 2013 the UConn detective investigating the case contacted the Head Coach Paul Pasqualoni," O'Connor said in a statement Thursday.
The allegations were taken all the way to the state's attorney's office in Tolland. However, there was not enough evidence to take it any further.
Eyewitness News tried repeatedly on Thursday to reach the state's attorney's office, but the stations calls were not returned.
Pasqualoni was fired by the university on Sept. 30. The Division of Athletics said it can confirm the department knew about the allegation.
The Division of Athletics said Pasqualoni did not notify the athletic director because it was not going any further for lack of evidence.
According to the UConn Police Safety Report for 2012, there were 13 sexual assaults in 2012, which is up from 2011 where there were eight.
Students told Eyewitness News they will be taking that request for mandatory sex education classes to the administration.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.