North Branford fire crews continue to investigate after a fire broke out along Woodvale Drive early Friday morning.
The fire marshal tells Eyewitness News it appears the fire is accidental in nature as was sparked by discarded ashes in a wooded area.
Officials said ashes disposed of by the homeowner caught the brush on fire and then spread to a nearby woodpile and two vehicles.
Fire crews were able to stop the flames before they could reach a nearby shed and the home.
The two vehicles were a complete loss, and the family also lost a pet who was caught up in the fire, officials said.
The fire marshal warned that conditions are extremely dry, and it does not take much to spark a fire or for it to spread because of that.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.