Phoenix man, 19, accused of enticing girl, 13, for sex in NM - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Phoenix man, 19, accused of enticing girl, 13, for sex in NM

Posted: Updated:
Noah Carney (Source: Facebook) Noah Carney (Source: Facebook)
ALBUQUERQUE, NM (CBS5) -

A 19-year-old Phoenix man is accused of enticing a 13-year-old child to engage in explicit conduct and inducing her to produce child pornography.

Noah John Carney has made his initial appearance in federal court in Las Cruces, NM.

A criminal complaint alleges the girl met Carney through an Internet game that led her to begin chatting with him on her cell phone.

Over the next two weeks, Carney allegedly asked the child victim to send him naked photos of herself. Carney also allegedly emailed a nude photo of himself to the child.

The complaint also alleges that Carney schooled the victim on how to access and view pornography on the Internet. Carney also allegedly asked the girl to meet him at hotels near her home to engage in sexual conduct, according to the complaint. 

The FBI performed a search of the victim's cell phone and Kindle device and found Carney's nude photo and some of the chats between the two, the complaint said.  

In mid-Sept., the Albuquerque Police Department joined the FBI's investigation and an officer assumed the victim's online identity and began communicating with Carney.

During a chat on Oct. 3, Carney allegedly asked the officer, who was posing as the child victim, for a sexually explicit photo, the complaint said. On the following day, Carney allegedly sent the officer a video of an adult engaged in sexually explicit conduct, the complaint said.

The FBI arrested Carney in Phoenix on Oct. 24 and he was transferred to Las Cruces Monday. If convicted on the charges in the complaint, Carney faces a federal prison sentence of not less than 25 years and not more than 50 years.

If convicted, Carney also would be required to register as a sex offender. Carney faces enhanced penalties because he previously was convicted of a sex-related offense.

The case was filed as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.