Nov. 23, 2012, will be a day city residents will not soon forget.
This time last year, the city was dealing with a natural gas explosion that destroyed Scores Gentlemen's Club and damaged more than 60 other buildings.
While there was some chaos early on, there was no loss of life.
Twenty-one people were injured, including several Springfield firefighters.
By the end of the weekend, CBS 3 learned that the cause of the explosion was due to an error made by a Columbia Gas worker who had pierced a pipe while checking for a leak.
Columbia Gas has since settled with the city and told our media partner, Mass Live and The Republican, that it has settled 84 percent of the 832 claims that were made against the company.
One year later, there are signs of progress in the immediate area of the explosion on Worthington Street, but they are side-by-side with parts of buildings that are still in pieces.
Tyre Trak, which is right across the street from where the explosion took place, was back up and running within three months of the blast.
Saturday, the business' president told CBS 3 he sees a lot of work that still needs to be done.
"The neighborhood is terrible," said Tim Andrew. "More than one person has stood on that side of the counter and said that it looks like a war zone, and some of these people are from Lebanon. The downtown has enough trouble attracting people. This doesn't make it easier."
Columbia Gas said this has been the costliest mistake in the company's history.
This Monday, CBS 3 Springfield's Bill Rapp will have a much more in-depth look at the impact made by last year's explosion.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.