Homeowner dies following house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Homeowner dies following house fire

MONROE, CT (AP) -

A 72-year-old homeowner has died following a house fire that injured five others, including four firefighters.

The Connecticut Post reports that Frederick Rice died Sunday at Bridgeport Hospital.

Five others, a female occupant and four firefighters, were injured.

Fire Chief William Davin said the blaze began as a kitchen grease fire and spread rapidly. He said the firefighters who first entered the house retreated because of heavy smoke. A rescue also was impeded by a ceiling collapse.

Three injured firefighters had minor burns and the fourth was hurt trying to enter the house through a rear window when a deck collapsed under him.

Davin said none of the firefighters required hospitalization.

The unidentified woman was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.