There are only five more days until the new gun laws go into effect for our state, that means a dash to register assault weapons or high capacity magazines.
A long line of people stood outside of the Public Safety Building in Middletown all day Thursday to register firearms.
Specifically, anything the state considers an assault weapon or a high capacity magazine must be registered before Jan. 1, 2014.
"If they were trying to make them illegal, I'd have a real issue, but if they want to just know where they are, that's fine with me," said Charles Gillette, who was registering magazines.
"I understand why they're doing it, but I don't think it's constitutional," said Scott Boccio, who was registering guns.
The controversial law was created last year after 20 children and six adults lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14.
None of the people Eyewitness News spoke with thinks this is going to reduce gun violence. They believe it's only hurting law abiding citizens.
"If people are going to do things illegally, they're not going to be here registering their gun," said Jared Krajewski, who was registering guns.
"Unless you change everything, and make it England and take everything away, I don't see how they're going to stop it," Boccio said.
Like it or not, the deadline is coming fast and Connecticut State Police said if you want to cut down on the wait time, make sure all forms are taken care of.
"People don't realize the entire form must be filled out completely," said state police Lt. Paul Vance. "And if it requires a notary, it should be notarized before coming here. That's what's causing the massive line."
If you haven't registered yet, people are advised to get to the Public Safety Building in Middletown between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. However, people have been advised to get to the location early because of the long lines.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer calls on a reporter during the daily briefing at the White House in Washington, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017. Spicer answered questions about the Dakota Pipeline, infrastructure and jobs. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer resigned Friday morning, according to multiple reports. He objected strongly to the hiring of Anthony Scaramucci as communications director.