Increased police presence at high school after shooting following basketball game
By WFSB Staff
NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -
A 14-year-old is recovering after being shot outside a New Haven high school Monday following a basketball game.
The shooting was reported at the Hillhouse High School at about 8 p.m., police said. A crowd of about 2,000 spectators were in the process of leaving the Hillhouse and Career High School basketball game. As the shots were heard, many in the crowd began to scatter. At that time, no victims had been located.
Officers responding to supplement the nine officers assigned to the game encountered a small group running from the scene. There was also added security at the game.
Two adults were arrested, and a discarded handgun was found nearby.
The two who were arrested have not been charged with any weapon-related crime or the shooting. Their possible involvement is, nonetheless, a part of the investigation.
Moments later, at 8 p.m., officers were dispatched to the intersection of Dixwell Avenue at Munson Street, several blocks from the school. A person had phoned police reporting a young man had been shot and was at that location.
Responding officers located a 14-year-old ninth-grade Hillhouse High School student who suffered a gunshot wound to his hand and what is being reported as a graze gunshot wound to his leg.
The victim's injuries are considered to be non-life-threatening. The boy was taken by ambulance to a hospital for treatment.
Detectives from the department's Major Crimes Unit and Bureau of Investigation are on the scene and are conducting their investigation into the crime. At this time, there is no suspect description nor path of flight to report.
School officials said security will be increased at Hillhouse and other high schools Tuesday out of an abundance of caution.
Also, the junior varsity and freshman basketball games scheduled for Tuesday afternoon at Hillhouse have been canceled by the New Haven Board of Education.
In a statement, Superintendent of Schools Garth Harries said, "No young person should have to fear for his safety inside or outside a high school sports game. I am deeply saddened by this act of violence. ... I do not accept and will not tolerate any act of violence against a member of [the] school community."
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call detectives at 203-946-6304.
Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, August 22 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 17:17:39 GMT
Portland city leaders are considering a plan to build tiny houses for homeless people to help get them off the streets. The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at TheMore >
The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at The Caravan Tiny House Hotel in northeast Portland.More >
Friday, August 22 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:57:07 GMT
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years, according to an affidavit. More >
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years. That's according to an affidavit released Thursday. William Richard Pryor, 68, is in federal custody charged with transportation of minors with intent of sexual activity. (WARNING: This story contains explicit details that may be offensive to some readers.)More >