Chandler firefighters said they believe a fire that destroyed a house originated in the garage. (Source: CBS 5 News)
CHANDLER, AZ (CBS5) -
Seven people were staying with friends after a fire destroyed their Chandler house and killed nine puppies.
Firefighters said the family was alerted to the fire when a window between the garage and kitchen exploded just after 2 a.m.
The family and two adult dogs were able to safely get out of the home near Arizona Avenue and Ray Road, but the litter of puppies was in the garage, where firefighters said they believe the fire started.
Firefighters said the house was a total loss.
Chandler Fire Battalion Chief Tom Dwiggins said there was so much fire burning in the garage that it will take a while to figure out the cause. The garage was filled with tools and storage items, he said.
The Grand Canyon Chapter of the American Red Cross said it was assisting the family with its emergency needs and would provide shelter, food and clothing as needed.
The investigation was continuing, firefighters said.
Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:01 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:01:35 GMT
Who wouldn't feel sorry for a man that stands in front of you, nearly in tears, and talks about how his wife died eight months ago during labor.More >
Who wouldn't feel sorry for a man that stands in front of you, nearly in tears, and talks about how his wife died eight months ago during labor, his mother just died, and now he is a single father raising a newborn all alone.More >