Food for patients dwindles at Holyoke Geriatric - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Food for patients, money for employees dwindle at Holyoke Geriatric


The Geriatric Authority of Holyoke has 60 days to make a smooth transition to closing, but Mayor Alex Morse announced Tuesday they don't have enough food or money to even stay open that long.

Morse says he and his office are working as hard as they can to continue to care for residents until the authority closes.

In two to three weeks, the care center will be out of food. In three to four weeks, they won't be able to pay their staff.

This is according to Morse, who held a press conference updating media on the condition of the authority, which the state announced needs to close May 13.

"Receivership is the best option to ensure that patients and their families continue to receive quality care and assistance in locating new facilities," Morse said. 

He is working with the attorney general's office and the Department of Public Health to make sure the state will contract a food vendor, send someone to run the facility and provide resources to fund the process of the 60-day closing transition.

"The authority currently doesn't have enough resources to even make it through the closure plan," Morse said. 

He calls the situation alarming and says the Board of Directors has mismanaged the authority. The board is planning to meet Wednesday to discuss private loan options to keep the authority open.

"The board discussing even the possibility of entering a contract without, No. 1, the approval of the City Council, and then No. 2, the by-laws that the city is governed by, is illegal," Morse said. 

At this point the mayor says the board is no longer capable of handling the future of the authority and he and his office are doing everything they can to make moving all the patients out a smooth transition.

"We were telling the Department of Public Health we want to be proactive, we don't want to have to call you in two more weeks and tell you there is no more food, employees aren't being paid, they've all walked out. We wanted to be ahead of the curve here, let the attorney general know, let the Department of Public Health know because at the end of the day, we don't have the resources to continue operating the facility," the mayor said. 

As for the future of the building, Morse expects another nursing home provider to show interest.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.