Wood stove blamed for Chesterfield house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Wood stove blamed for Chesterfield house fire

Posted: Updated:

A wood stove sparked a fire in the basement of a Chesterfield home early Wednesday, according to Fire Marshals.

Someone inside the home at 2501 Lancers Boulevard smelled smoke and found a fire in the basement. They managed to escape and call 911 from a neighbor's house around 4:10 a.m. The occupant then climbed back into the home through a bedroom window to help another person inside.

Smoke billowed from the basement as fire crews arrived. It took around 35 minutes to get the fire undercontrol. The basement and first floor were both badly damaged and the two people inside will not be able to return.

Fire Marshals say the fire was caused by combustibles too close to a wood stove.

Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved