Norwalk police pursuit leads to arrest - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Norwalk police pursuit leads to arrest

The following photo of Hakim Smith was provided by the Norwalk Police Department. The following photo of Hakim Smith was provided by the Norwalk Police Department.

An early morning police pursuit in Norwalk lead to the arrest of a Stanford man. Hakim Smith, 25, of Stamford, was arrested and charged with numerous charges.

Around 2 a.m. Saturday morning, Norwalk police officers were conducting selective enforcement activities in the Webster Street parking lot located at 50 Washington Street.

The parking lot was crowded with lots of car and people due to bar closing and a large crowd at an event at a club named "La Torche," according to police.

According to Norwalk police, a red Nissan Altima was observed driving erratically in the parking lot. Smith then hit a pedestrian and hit a parked car after that. The person who was hit stated that he was not injured. An officer on foot tried to stop the car, but the driver accelerated away from the officers in the lot.

Smith fled the parking lot through the Washington St. driveway, jumping the curb and crashing into a concrete pole in the median, according to police. He continued on, hitting the front end of a marked patrol being driven by a sergeant who was responding to the scene.

Smith then fled west on Washington St. and then northbound up Fairfield Ave. with the sergeant in pursuit. He continued turning onto Reed Street, crossing West Ave. and crashing through a metal chain link fence, which surrounds the 95/7 construction project.

The driver eventually came to a stop after crashing into the fence near the on ramp to I-95 northbound, according to police.

After crashing, Smith resisted arrest and violently struggled with the arresting officers, according to police. One officer used his Taser, which allowed officers to gain control and apply handcuffs.

Smith appeared to have minor injuries from the crash was brought to the Norwalk Hospital by Norwalk EMS. Smith was treated and released from the hospital.

The sergeant sustained back pain from the crash, but refused medical attention.

According to police, DMV records show that Smith's drivers license was suspended in October 2008. He was also not the registered owner of the Nissan Altima.

Smith was charged with operating while license is suspended, reckless driving, five counts of evading responsibility, failure to carry insurance card, disobeying order of an officer, interfering with an officer and engaging in pursuit.

Smith was held on a $20,000 bond and has court date April 8.

According to police, charges for operating under the influence may be sought, based on the results of search and seizure warrant for his drug and alcohol levels.

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.