State Police arrested man after attempted murder - WFSB 3 Connecticut

State Police arrested man after attempted murder

Posted: Updated:

On Friday, Connecticut State police arrested a man for attempted murder in Bolton after he stabbed a girl.

According to State Police, at about 12:38 a.m. Thursday, they were notified from a concerned witness that the suspect was involved in a domestic dispute with his partner and may have stabbed her.

Patrol troopers from Troop K in Colchester began to search for the suspect and reported victim. At about 1:53 a.m., troopers responded to a car accident in the area of 96 Skinner Rd. in Andover.

The responding troopers found the victim in the passenger seat bleeding badly from multiple stab wounds, according to State Police. The victim was treated on the scene and then air lifted via Life Star Helicopter to Hartford Hospital where she remains in stable condition in the Intensive Care Unit.

The suspect was identified as John Corver, 51, and sustained a fracture to his right arm and cut to his forehead from the car crash. Corver also had self-inflicted knife wounds to his abdomen, according to police.

Corver was brought to Hartford Hospital where he was treated for his injuries. He was released from the hospital on Friday and was immediately arrested on the strength of an arrest warrant at 3:14 p.m.

Corver was charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, assault first degree, criminal mischief third degree, threatening second degree and cruelty to animals.

According to State Police, the initial investigation revealed that the victim was in the process of ending her domestic relationship with Corver. The victim had flown back to Connecticut from California and was picked up at Bradley International Airport at 11 p.m. April 23 by Corver.

On the way back to Bolton, a verbal argument took place in the car over the breakup. The victim attempted to call a friend for help, but Corver threw the phone out of the car window, according to police.

The argument continued and Corver assaulted the victim with a knife. He slashed the knife at her and caused serious physical injury.

During the attack, a pug that was being held by the victim ran from the car and was believed to have suffered a knife wound as well, according to state police. The dog has not been found yet.

According to police, the investigation revealed that Corver drove to the Nathan Hale Homestead in Coventry and continued to stab the victim with the knife. Corver then drove away from the area and hit a tree on Skinner Rd., where they were then located by police.

Corver is currently being held on a $2 million court set bond at the Department of Corrections facility MacDougall-Walker in Suffield. He is scheduled to appear in court Monday.

The investigation is ongoing and is being conducted by the Eastern District Major Crime Unit at Troop K with assistance from the States Attorney Office.

Members of the Connecticut State Police Collision Analysis, Reconstruction Squad and Troop K personnel also assisted in the investigation. The State Police K-9 teams recovered evidence to include the knife used in the attack.

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.