Father hospitalized after Enfield house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Father hospitalized after Enfield house fire

Posted: Updated:
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)
ENFIELD, CT (WFSB) -

Victims of an Enfield house fire that sent a father to the hospital wonder if an e-cigarette was to blame.

Members of the Hayden family returned to the Campania Road home Thursday morning to salvage what they could.

Crews were called to the scene shortly before midnight to find flames shooting from the home.

According to the fire chief, the family was awoken by their smoke detectors going off and found the fire in the basement of the home.

"They had been alerted to the smoke detectors going off, and when he went down into the basement level he did see an active fire, and hollered to his family to get out and call 911," said Chief Earl Provencher of the Enfield Fire Department, North Thompsonville.

Firefighters said John Hayden Sr. yelled to his wife and daughter to get out of the house.

"I believe he was going for some water," said Provencher. "He ended up taking the couch out of the house and I think that's where he got burned."

The chief said he attempted to put the fire out himself and prevent the flames from spreading.  Unfortunately he was unsuccessful and flames spread throughout the basement and upper floors of the home.

"We started as a defensive operation because the fire was coming out both sides of the house," said Provencher.

Hours later as crews worked to dig through the rubble, smoke could still be seen rising from what was left.

Officials said everyone was able to get out of the home, but Hayden had to be taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield for treatment.

"[He had] injuries to his hands," explained Provencher. "There were probably second- or third-degree burns to his hands."

The chief expects the home to be declared a total loss.

Family members told Eyewitness News that an e-cigarette was charging in the basement. They wondered if that was the cause.

The state fire marshal's office was collecting evidence and using dogs to find the exact cause.

This was the second time that the home experienced a fire.

"I can't imagine going through it once, let alone a second time," said Deb Samek, a neighbor.

Cheryl Hayden said that five years ago, it took the family six months to rebuild from a Memorial Day weekend fire. She said the community came together to help then and can't believe she's facing the same situation again.

"It's terrible, I just can't imagine the whole family having to go through this again," Samek said. "It's terrible."

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.