Two-year-old Aliycea Sanders is laughing and playing after recovering from a scary ordeal over the weekend.
She nearly drowned hours after she left a hotel pool. Her mother recognized the symptoms of dry drowning thanks to a recent report by KCTV5's Amy Anderson.
After leaving the hotel pool, the family was active.
"She seemed totally fine. We went shopping, had lunch," Tiffany Eidson, the child's mother, explained.
Looking back, she noticed that her little girl was sleepy and quiet. She laid her down for a nap and then noticed her daughter was choking in her sleep.
"She started gagging and was losing breath. We picked her up. Her dad tipped her over," she said. "I was doing compressions on her back and she stopped breathing because she had water coming out of her nose and mouth."
Eidson had seen Anderson's report so she recognized the symptoms of dry drowning in her baby girl.
If it wasn't for her being right next to us and how quickly we noticed the little bit of water she was sprinkling when she coughed I wouldn't have freaked out and grabbed her up to help her," she posted on KCTV5's Facebook page. "Thanks to the news and the article they did a few weeks earlier I knew the signs of dry drowning and the steps to take which saved our baby girls life by immediately performing CPR and rushing her to the hospital !! I just want to make everyone aware and beg you to pass the word on!! IT'S REAL AND IT DOES HAPPEN, please watch your babies closely after swimming even if they were barely in the water!!!"
They then got her to the hospital.
Because of Anderson's report, the family demanded that doctors perform tests to confirm Aliycea's condition.
Dr. Sarah Hohen of the University of Kansas Medical Center explained that secondary drowning is when water gets below the vocal chords and inflammation sets in the lungs.
It's not easy to detect and comes on quickly. The coughing and choking will occur within 12 to 24 hours of leaving the water.
Eidson hopes her story will raise additional awareness.
"All my friends have kids and I have warned all of them: please watch your babies after they're in any bit of water," she said.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.