A single mother in Hartford said she is trapped in a horrible apartment and that it is impacting her son's health.
Mold and moisture have taken over her Garden Hill apartment on Sigourney Street after a pipe burst in the ceiling.
"This is no condition for me and my son to be in; it's not healthy for me or him," said Saskia Lauder.
She said she has only lived there for three months, bought new furniture and then the pipe burst in the ceiling, leaving water marks, mold and she said there are also bed bugs in the apartment.
Lauder said she first reached out to the leasing office in early June.
"Nothing was done. I went over there again and nothing. June 10, when I paid my rent, I went over there. When I told them I'm going to the state, that's when they sent an exterminator to spray for bed bugs and that was it," Lauder said.
North Point Management of Chestnut Ridge, NY, owns the apartment complex. City building officials said they have cited similar problems that Lauder has, in the same building.
"You work so hard, you want to relax and think about nothing," and then problems like this pop up, Lauder said. "I'm stuck here in this apartment."
She said she went to speak with the building manager recently.
"I told her I want to move; I need to get out of this lease," and the building manager said she needed to give one month's notice and that the security deposit will not be returned. "So I told her ‘I'll see you in court,' and she said, 'no problem.'"
Lauder said she just wants to get out of the apartment "because this is no place for me and my 3-year-old son to live in. I just want to move."
Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.