Missing Hartford boy back home with family - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Missing Hartford boy back home with family

Posted: Updated:
Jeremy White. (Hartford police photo) Jeremy White. (Hartford police photo)

A family's plea for a little boy's safe return was answered when a boy missing since Wednesday night was back home on Thursday morning, according to police.

Jeremy White, 11, was the subject of a Silver Alert that was issued overnight. Police searched the south end of the capital city for about 11 hours to find the child.

White was allegedly dropped off at a cousin's house on nearby Adelaide Street.

"He said he blacked out somewhere, made it to his cousin's house and the cousin brought him to dad," Antonia Baker, who is Jeremy's grandmother, said.

The family told Eyewitness News that he was being taken to the hospital to be checked out.

Police said the boy was not kidnapped or abducted.

"This is a standard 11-year-old missing overnight situation," said Deputy Chief Brian Foley, Hartford Police Department.

According to police, they canvassed the area surrounding New Britain Avenue and Webster Street where Jeremy lives. Before being found, family members said Jeremy was last seen around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"Everyone is stressed, nervous, worried, wondering if he was taken by someone or if something bad might have happened to him," Baker said.

Jeremy was out with his cousins and friends riding their bikes when he disappeared.

"All the kids were here but he, so we knew something wasn't right," Margarita Valdez, who is Jeremy's aunt, said. "I know they went searching with dogs and all but we don't know nothing."

Police located his bike at nearby Highland Park.

Police got a tip from a man saying he saw someone fitting Jeremy's description near the Dunkin Donuts on Franklin Avenue before taking off

According to his parents, Jeremy has never taken off like that before, and they were very concerned for his safety.

"He's always by his mom or his grandma," Valdez said overnight. "It's time for him to be home, and he's not going to stay out there. We're worried."

There are still plenty of unanswered questions about Jeremy's disappearance. Eyewitness News was at home as a number of detectives pulled up to the apartment following Jeremy's return.

Still, family members told Eyewitness News they are just relieved the Silver Alert ended with Jeremy back safe and sound.

"It's wonderful. We were waiting for this to happen," Baker said. "God works in mysterious ways and he answered our prayers. We're glad to have him back."

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.