Brights Zoo: initial reports show baby giraffe had infection thr - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Brights Zoo: initial reports show baby giraffe had infection throughout body

Posted: Updated:
Limestone, TN (WJHL) -  David Bright of Brights Zoo spoke to us on Sunday about the recent death of a baby giraffe named Patch.

They have received an initial report on what caused Patch's death. Bright says it shows the giraffe had an infection throughout his entire body, even in his joints.

Now they are looking for more detailed answers on why it did not show up on initial blood work, and if it is a common infection.

"Now our original questions to the vets was, had we had pulled this baby and bottle raised it, could we have prevented this, and they assured us no, bottle raising would have actually been worse, mothers milk has a lot of other nutrients and vitamins that you just really cant replace," said Bright.

They do know the infection patch had would not have been contagious to other giraffes. Right now they are waiting on a final autopsy report that should be released to the zoo within the next few days.



Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.