Teen involved in stun gun incident faced judge Wednesday - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Teen involved in stun gun incident faced judge Wednesday

Posted: Updated:
The following image of Luis Anglero was taken from a YouTube clip of the stun gun incident. The following image of Luis Anglero was taken from a YouTube clip of the stun gun incident.
Luis Anglero leaves court surrounded by his mother and community members. (WFSB photo) Luis Anglero leaves court surrounded by his mother and community members. (WFSB photo)
Before his hearing, about a dozen rallied in support of Luis Anglero. (WFSB photo) Before his hearing, about a dozen rallied in support of Luis Anglero. (WFSB photo)
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

The Hartford teenager involved in a controversial stun gun incident faced a judge on Wednesday morning.

Hartford police said 18-year-old Luis Anglero was displaying "unruly aggressive behavior" on Sept. 19. Police said Anglero "did not comply with orders to disperse and continued to display aggressive behavior," so he was shot with a stun gun by an officer.

The use of the stun gun, which was caught on eyewitness video, has angered community members who said Anglero followed detective Shawn Ware's commands.

A report by the Hartford Police Department found Ware did not violate police protocol. Members of the union also asked for the public to not rush to judgment in this incident.

Following the incident, Anglero was hospitalized and charged with second-degree breach of peace.

Last week, dozens of people marched along Albany Avenue and into the public safety complex in response to the incident. The protestors held signs saying "stop racist police brutality," and many chanted.

Hartford Police Chief James Rovella marched in rally and that upset members of the Hartford Police Department's union.

"To have participated in the demonstration in any form has sent a message to the membership that they are not being supported. Walking with the protesters... conveyed a message to the rank and file that politics will overshadow the facts," the union said in a statement on Thursday.

Union President Sgt. Richard Holton previously told Eyewitness News he talked with Rovella after the march and explained why they were upset by his actions. However, Holton told Eyewitness News that the chief said he stood by his actions.

Rovella issued a statement regarding his participation in Wednesday's rally, and said the purpose was to exchange ideas and points of view with the protesters.

"I am trying to diffuse any continued animosity toward the police. It is important to support their freedom and expression. It is equally important to explain the police side, and several people spent time talking with me. Our continued partnership with the community is important," Rovella said.

Anglero appeared at Hartford Community Court on Wednesday and his case was continued until Oct. 15. 

Outside of court, Anglero's lawyers told Eyewitness News that they were hoping to get the charges dropped. 

"The truth in this matter is on our side, and we're confident that once the laws of this state are applied to that truth, that my client will be exonerated of all of the charges before him," Jamaal Johnson, who is Anglero's attorney, said. 

Before the hearing, about a dozen rallied in support of Anglero and several Hartford community members escorted him out of the building. 

Anglero's family had no comment for Eyewitness News outside of court. 

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.