E.O. Smith girls soccer coach arrested, fired for sending Snapch - WFSB 3 Connecticut

E.O. Smith girls soccer coach arrested, fired for sending Snapchat video

Posted: Updated:
Jeff Sirois Jeff Sirois
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)
STORRS, CT (WFSB) -

A varsity girls soccer coach at E.O. Smith High School in Storrs has been fired following an arrest for sending an inappropriate video through a social media app.

The Storrs Board of Education released a statement on Friday about former coach Jeff Sirois.

“This individual, who exclusively held the position of the girls varsity soccer coach at E.O. Smith High School and was never in a classroom environment, has been terminated from his position as varsity coach,” the statement read.

Sirois, 57, allegedly used the social media service Snapchat to send out the video. The video was seen by a number of juveniles, including two aged 14 and 16, according to state police.

Troopers have not said whether the victims were girls or members of the soccer team.

Eyewitness News began following the case last week after a parent called into the newsroom.

Students said they were well aware of what happened.

“[I] was just really disappointed that someone that you're supposed to look up to would do that," said Kelly Annenright, a student.

Students called Snapchat a popular social media website.

“It's kind of like Instagram,” Annenright said. “But instead of the pictures staying there, it goes away after a certain amount of seconds, but I guess the guy set it as his story, which can stay there for 24 hours.”

Sirois, of Lebanon, was charged with impairing the morals of a minor, two counts of obscenity and two counts of breach of peace.

Eyewitness News has learned that he cannot be on school grounds or have contact with anyone under the age of 16.

“The board shares the concern that parents and the public at large will have in receiving this news,” the board's statement continued. “The board has always, and will continue to, uphold high standards for its staff and anyone working with children.”

The board said it will continue to cooperate with police as they investigate.

Police said he is being held on a $100,000 court-set surety bond. He'll face a judge on Oct. 6.

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2016, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and Frankly Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.