Worker burned after explosion at Connecticut Natural Gas - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Worker burned after explosion at Connecticut Natural Gas

Posted: Updated:
Emergency crews were called to CNG in East Hartford after an explosion. Emergency crews were called to CNG in East Hartford after an explosion.
The building in the background of photo is the one believed to have caught on fire. The building in the background of photo is the one believed to have caught on fire.
Connecticut Natural Gas employees were evacuated after a small explosion Connecticut Natural Gas employees were evacuated after a small explosion
EAST HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) - Connecticut Natural Gas employees were evacuated after a small explosion and fire was reported near the building in East Hartford on Wednesday afternoon.

The small explosion was reported in an outbuilding on Meadow Street, which is used to fill natural gas trucks around 12:30 p.m. The building is in a parking lot and away from other buildings. 

The fire chief said a mechanic was filling a truck when a compressor exploded and created a small fire along with the explosion. The worker's hands and head were burned and the explosion caused the panels of the building to partly pop off.

"It sounded like a dumpster and then all the emergency crews showed up," said Lucie Wilson of East Hartford.

Sources told Eyewitness News that the explosion shook the building. 

The outbuilding holds three gas tanks, all used to fuel the company's natural gas powered vehicles.

"That system has been in place ... CNG uses natural power gas and this is the first time we've ever run across an incident like this," Fire Chief John Oates said.

A lot of people were outside of the building as crews investigated the explosion. Fire officials said people at 55 Hartland St. as well as other businesses were also evacuated. 

They were let back in the building around 1 p.m. Once the fire was out, crews had to deal with an oil leak. Police shut down Meadow Street until everything was under control and then workers were allowed back inside.

Businesses in the area said it could have been much worse.

Investigators told Eyewitness News they are still looking into exactly what happened. There is no word on how the worker is doing at this time.

Copyright 2014 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.