A Wethersfield man has pleaded guilty to taking part in a series of hoax threats last year intended to draw responders, such as SWAT units and bomb squads.
Federal officials say 22-year-old Matthew Tollis, who entered his plea Tuesday, faces up to five years in prison for conspiring to engage in the malicious conveying of false information. Federal prosecutors say he was a member of a group that made hoax threat calls alleging bomb threats, mass murder and hostage-taking.
The offense, known as "swatting," refers to bogus calls to draw SWAT teams.
Tollis told authorities he never spoke but laughed as others made the phony calls. The U.S. Attorney's office says Tollis identified information about potential targets.
He is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 15 and also faces state charges.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.