Bristol man receives military honors years after records lost in - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Bristol man receives military honors years after records lost in fire

Posted: Updated:
Renaud Albert received six medals on Tuesday. (WFSB photo) Renaud Albert received six medals on Tuesday. (WFSB photo)
BRISTOL, CT (WFSB) -

More than 60 years after bravely serving his country during the Korean War, a Bristol man has been recognized.

In 1950, Renaud Albert was drafted by the U.S. Army. He said he hadn't even turned 23 years old yet.

“At first I didn't know what the heck we were doing,” Albert said.

He served as a medic during the war.

“You got out and stop the bleeding and do whatever you have to do,” he said.

Albert said he faced horrors and challenges he never imagined during his two years of service.

“My biggest challenge was to be honest, to see so many people get hurt,” Albert said. “That was a tough, tough battle for me.”

Years after the war, Albert learned that his military records had been destroyed in a fire. While he wasn't searching for accolades, he said he wanted them.

His family contacted Rep. John Larson's office.

Albert was told it would take time.

“Congressman Larson's office worked with the Department of Defense and managed to re-create all of his records,” said James Albert, Renaud Albert's son.

More than 60 years later, the 86-year-old Albert received a total of six awards.

He said he was thankful.

“Whatever I get I would trade them tomorrow if I could get back the people we lost,” Albert said.

For his family, especially his grandchildren, the medals were something to treasure for decades to come.

“I think his prime motivation was to make sure my two daughters got a copy of his records and his medals before he passed away,” James Albert said.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.