An office building in Bloomfield was evacuated after smoke was seen pouring out of it on Tuesday afternoon.
A fire was reported at the Bloomfield Professional Center, located at 34 Jerome Ave., around 11:30 a.m. There were reports of lots of black smoke in the building.
There were no reports of injuries.
The building houses dentists' and doctors' offices. Employees told Eyewitness News there were renovations being done on the third floor.
"Somebody came to my office and said we had to leave," said Sid Perew, who has an office on the third floor.
He said he's glad everyone got out okay but now wants to know what is going to happen to his business.
He said the building was undergoing renovations to some of the bathrooms but believed they were finished.
The fire marshal said the renovations were not finished and said workers were soldering some pipes in the bathrooms and believes sparks may have started the fire.
"It appears the fire got in the walls --- which led up to the third floor and dropped down to the first floor," said Bloomfield Fire Marshal Roger Nelson.
Neighboring departments are assisting with the fire. Firefighters could be on scene for hours, clearing the building of smoke.
Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.