After a violent weekend in Hartford with multiple shootings, including one that turned deadly, an emergency meeting between city and state leaders was held on Monday afternoon to end violence plaguing the capitol city.
Mayor Pedro Segarra meet with state leaders to figure out a solution as the governor pledged his support to the city more manpower and resources.
“It’s obviously a spike. Overall crime is down about two percent. Homicides have doubled,” Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said.
There were 36 people including Malloy, Segarra and commissioners from several state agencies at meeting at the State Emergency Operations Center on Monday afternoon.
“There are from time-to-time, special circumstances,” Malloy said. “And when those in special circumstances, when we are called upon, we will step up our efforts in support of local efforts. We will not take over local efforts. We will not be the primary body responsible for those things. That is a local function and quite frankly best delivered on a local basis.”
The state is prepared to give the following items:
The plan also includes another guy buyback program in Hartford.
Segarra said he reached out to Malloy last week and asked for more resources to beef up the police department’s joint shooting task force. The mayor said the task force was cut by about 25 percent since it was created in 2011.
"As we look for short term approaches to bring down the violence, we must be mindful we have a certain set of circumstances that impact opportunity engage in conduct we are trying to eliminate,” Segarra said.
The city's police department is short staffed, dropping from a peak of 482 officers last year to 404 in 2015. All of those positions from officers left open by those retiring.
The latest shooting happened Sunday night in Hartford’s north end. Police said a 16-year-old victim was shot in the elbow on Judson Street.They also said the same victim was shot in the chest last year and survived.
Early Sunday morning, another shooting took place outside of the Vibz nightclub on Main Street. Investigators said a 21-year-old woman and a 36-year-old man were hit. The woman was expected to live, but the man was listed in critical-but-stable condition.
That shooting came just hours after a third that happened on Main Street. Officials said the suspect walked into an apartment building and shot a 25-year-old victim multiple times in the hallway. That victim is also expected to survive.
A deadly shooting on Saturday morning brought Segarra to Elliott Street. Police said the victim, 34-year-old Jonathan Whaley, was involved in an argument moments before a suspect opened fire. Whaley was killed while a second victim was shot in the torso.
No arrests have been made in any of the shootings.
Anyone with any information about the shootings is asked to call Hartford Crime Stoppers at 860-722-TIPS or by texting TIP711(24637).
Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.