Torrington standoff ends peacefully - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Torrington standoff ends peacefully

Posted: Updated:
Police called to incident at 120 Torringford St. (WFSB) Police called to incident at 120 Torringford St. (WFSB)

Torrington Police said a standoff that lasted nearly 14 hours has ended peacefully.

Officers said they initially received a 911 call around noontime Friday for a well-being check of an individual who lives at 210 Torringford Street.

Police said during that check the incident "escalated", however, police did not release any other details.

Police said the incident has forced them to close Torringford Street, also known as Route 183 for several hours

Members of the SWAT team were called to the neighborhood.

"We're just hoping that it will be a good end," said Tom Murphy. 

Route 183 was closed in from Route 4 and Petricone Avenue.

"The neighbors texted my wife who lives across the street from us saying that an officer came with a machine gun and told everyone to stay inside their house," Murphy said. 

Neighbors along Torringford Street were being asked to stay inside their homes. Others such as Nadine Thomas weren't allowed back inside theirs.

I left my house to go shopping and when I went to go back in, I couldn't go back into my house,” Thomas said. I was stupid enough to leave a chicken in oven.”

Other neighbors were told to stay inside because of the unknown danger. Police told Eyewitness News they were in touch with the suspect several times throughout the evening, but he wouldn't come out. Several officers were walking around the neighborhood with guns drawn. 

As for Thomas, she said while it’s frustrating she was able to get officers to turn off her chicken cooking and is hanging out with her other neighbors.  

“We’re all getting to know each other better than we did before,” Thomas said.

Officers were able to talk the suspect, now identified as 60-year-old Timothy Ventry, out of the home just before 2 a.m. Saturday. He was taken to an area hospital for evaluation.

Torringford Road has since reopened and residents are allowed to return to their homes.

Police said the suspect will be facing charges, but those are still pending at this time.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.