A change in the state’s fire code is banning grills on the decks of most apartments and condominiums.
The change is causing some issues for many people, especially those who just went out and bought a brand new grill.
"It's not a bad idea. Just wish I knew it a little bit earlier,” said Rob Kozikowski, who is the manager at The Glenbrook at Rocky Hill apartment complex.
He said he was shocked to learn about the changes to the fire code, which affects a number of his residents.
"Just walked in one day and they said here's a new law and it's already started,” he said.
The new revision took effect the first week in May, with very little fanfare.
It prohibits the use and storage of grills and other cooking devices on decks, under overhangs or within 15 feet of the building.
Kozikowski said some advance notice would have allowed him to add more community grills to the property, but he said he understands the change.
"I actually have 40 units per building and if a fire were to start out there would be a lot of people's lives at stake,” he said.
While there are some exemptions to the new rule, it covers the majority of multi-family homes, barring just one and two family units.
Fire experts said whether the change is convenient or not, it is designed to keep people safe.
"Everything we've been taught over the years is that fire doubles in size once every minute and now we're seeing with some of the products with combustion etc, that it's a lot quicker than that,” said Suffield Fire Chief Chuck Flynn.
To read the entire revised Connecticut Fire Prevention Code, click here.
Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.