Vigil held for teen killed in drive-by shooting 1 year after his - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Vigil held for teen killed in drive-by shooting 1 year after his death

Posted: Updated:
Family and friends remembered Jacob Craggett tonight, one year after his death. (WFSB file photo) Family and friends remembered Jacob Craggett tonight, one year after his death. (WFSB file photo)
NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -

The family of a teen who was shot to death remembered his life one year after it was taken away.

Jacob Craggett, 15, was only trying to make curfew, when he got caught in the crossfire and died in a drive-by shooting in New Haven.

Family and friends walked from Jacob’s grandmother's house where he had just left that night to the scene of the shooting.

Police charged 37-year-old Lamont "Duce" Edward was in the triple shooting.

“They mean different things to everybody,” Jacob’s brother Josh Craggett said. “I can't not think about my brother.”

The candles were placed at the intersection Davenport and Vernon burn in honor of Jacob Craggett.  

“He had a big heart big spirit and he loved his family,” Josh Craggett said.

Josh Craggett was shot five times, but survived. He said his life isn't the same without his baby brother Jacob.

“My brothers not here right now,” Josh Craggett said. “If I could trade places with them I could.  I pray I could every day.”

Josh Craggett helped lead a vigil at the scene of the shooting on Saturday night.  The family is happy one of the men police said is responsible for the crime, Edwards, is locked up, but justice only goes so far.

“That don't change a thing,” Josh Craggett said. “I can't get my brother back. “

Josh Craggett said the T-shirts in his brother's honor and the candles were a nice show of support.  But when the family walked back to their houses the darkness of what happened one year ago will seep right back in.

“It's like whether I see a candle or not I still gotta go home and not have my brother,” Josh Craggett said.

Edwards is due back in New Haven Superior Court on Tuesday. He has not entered a plea.  

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.