Ellington High School freshman dies in tubing accident - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Ellington High School freshman dies in tubing accident

Posted: Updated:
Community mourns death of high school freshman (WFSB) Community mourns death of high school freshman (WFSB)

Families across Ellington are mourning after the tragic death of a 14-year-old girl, who died while tubing with her father in an upstate New York creek.

According to the Ulster County Sheriff’s Office, Jordyn Engler and her father Jeff Engler were tubing in the Esopus Creek.

Their tube overturned and while Jeff Engler was rescued, the Times Herald-Record reported that his daughter was trapped under debris.

This happened during one of the four times each year when the state releases more water into the creek.

It wasn’t until state engineers cut back to water flow that crews were able to find Jordyn Engler’s body.

On Sunday morning, Ellington High School provided grief counselors for students.

Jordyn Engler was a member of the Fierce All-Star Cheer Team in Manchester, and was a freshman at Ellington High School.

Her cheerleading Coach Kelly Davis said she learned about Jordyn’s death on Saturday afternoon.

“When I found out that she had passed immediately I dropped to me knees I screamed, I cried, I called my other coach who worked with Jordyn and let her know,” Davis said.

In Jordyn’s short time with the team, just a year-and-a-half, it won several trophies including a first place trophy from a competition in Massachusetts.

“I'm going to remember her smile that's one thing I'll never, never forget --her smile,” Davis said.

In a post on his Facebook wall, Jeff Engler wrote, in part: "You all know how important my children are in my life and I am in a very dark place right now... please make sure to hug your children for me. We were having such an amazing time before the freak accident happened."

The superintendent of schools said there will be counseling support for students at all Ellington schools on Tuesday.

Jeff Engler has recovered from his injuries and is expected to be traveling back to Connecticut in the near future, the superintendent said.

A memorial fundraising page has been set up and can be found here.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.