Pedro Segarra has withdrawn from the race for Hartford mayor after losing the Democratic primary earlier this month.
Incumbent Segarra made that he has suspended his campaign plans at a press conference on Tuesday morning.
"I'm officially ending my re-election bid. While this was not an easy decision to make, I'm doing it for the good of the city," Segarra said.
The announcement comes six days after losing to Democratic challenger Luke Bronin in a primary on Thursday. Bronin’s margin of victory was about 10 percentage points, election officials said.
Segarra endorsed Bronin at the press conference.
"We went through a long hard campaign, but I have enormous respect for the mayors commitment to the city for the love of the city - for all that he has given to the city," Bronin said. "[I'm] deeply appreciative of his support today and the spirit of unity."
Segarra did collect enough signatures to run as an independent, but his campaign has run out of money. And he has not gotten the support from key people such as Gov. Dannel Malloy, who endorsed Bronin last week.
Brian Langille said he has heard many campaign promises, and he's running a family business that has been in Hartford for eight decades, selling and repairing electric motors and pumps.
Langille is the third generation of owners and employs 12, including Ivan Lawson who is a long-time worker who remembers what Hartford was like in the 1970s.
"There were a lot of jobs back then. Now, it's all gone. I don't know what's happening but everyone is moving out of the state," Lawson said.
Bronin will be the Democratic candidate on the November ballot.
Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.