Hartford mother left 4-year-old sandwiches while she left to per - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Hartford mother left 4-year-old sandwiches while she left to perform sexual favors, documents say

Posted: Updated:
Shi'Day Nicks faced a judge on Wednesday. (WFSB photo) Shi'Day Nicks faced a judge on Wednesday. (WFSB photo)
Shi’day Nicks and Shafayla Nicks. Shi’day Nicks and Shafayla Nicks.

A mother whose 4-year-old was found wandering the streets of Hartford is accused of leaving the child alone to commit sexual favors for a friend.

Shi’Day Nicks was charged with reckless endangerment and risk of injury to a minor after a passerby spotted Shafayla Nicks alone on Collins Street Tuesday.

She faced a judge Wednesday in Hartford and her bond was set at $50,000 after her court appearance.

According to court documents, Shi'Day Nicks admitted to leaving while the child slept. She allegedly prepared sandwiches, left out her favorite snacks and put cartoons on the television before she departed.

The mother then met with a man named Richard, whom she had known for 6 months. The documents said he would pay Shi'Day for sexual favors.

Richard said he picked up Shi'Day and drove her to his home in East Hartford. She allegedly performed the favors in exchange for $230.

Despite being together for three hours, however, Shi'Day told police that the man never paid her. He eventually drove her back home.

Shi'Day was then told by people in her apartment building that the police took her daughter.

According to the documents, Shi'Day told detectives that she was in the process of being evicted and made the decision to leave the child alone while she attempted to make money.

That was also the second time she left the Shafayla home alone that day. She left her earlier to grocery shop.

The documents said the little girl was alone for a total of nine hours.

She also claimed to take full responsibility for what happened.

Police said the child was unharmed, but she wasn’t returned to her mother. Instead, she’s being cared for by the state.

Eventually, police said they found the girl’s apartment building. However, Shi’Day Nicks was nowhere to be found.

She was eventually found and brought in for questioning. That's when she revealed what happened.

Anthony Nicks, the child's grandfather, said he had no idea what was happening. He spoke to Eyewitness News outside of court.

"I don't understand what happened," he said. "I haven't talked to her and she hasn't called my phone." 

Shafayla is now in the custody of the Department of Children and Families.

Anthony Nicks said he still believes the child should be with his mother.

"As a grandfather and a father it's very disturbing because I don't know what happened with my granddaughter or with her," Nicks said.

Shi'Day is due back in court in a few weeks.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.