Improperly discarded cigarette causes fire that killed 11-year-o - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Improperly discarded cigarette causes fire that killed 11-year-old boy

Posted: Updated:
'Improperly discarded smoking materials' cause fire that killed 11-year-old boy (Family photo/WFSB) 'Improperly discarded smoking materials' cause fire that killed 11-year-old boy (Family photo/WFSB)
Cade Johnson IV, 11, was killed in a fire in New Britain (WFSB photo) Cade Johnson IV, 11, was killed in a fire in New Britain (WFSB photo)
NEW BRITAIN, CT (WFSB) -

New Britain officials have determined that "improperly discarded smoking materials" caused a fire that killed an 11-year-old boy.

A cigarette was not properly extinguished, and was left on a couch on the first floor front porch of the home and sparked the fire.

The fire broke out in the early morning hours on Oct. 6, at a three-family home on East Street.

All occupants were able to get out of the home, except 11-year-old Cade Townsend IV, who died in the fire.

By the time firefighters arrived, they said there was a heavy fire. Assistance was needed from surrounding fire departments.

They said they attempted several times to perform a search for the trapped child, but due to deteriorating conditions, all firefighters had to be withdrawn from the building.

After the fire was under control, firefighters said they resumed the search. Townsend IV was found unresponsive on the third floor. He was pronounced dead on the scene by emergency medical personnel.

Investigators said there was extensive damage to the building.

Right after the fire, the men and women who work at J. Timothy's Taverne in Plainville started a fundraiser for the family.

Townsend's father, also named Cade, works at the restaurant as a chef.

In just eight days, the GoFundMe page has raised more than $25,000 for Townsend's family.

Everything that the family has received, from the online donations to the candles and balloons on their sidewalk, send the same message that the community cares.

There will be a benefit for the family on Sunday, Nov. 1 at the St. Jean Baptiste Society in New Britain from noon to 4 p.m. For more information, click here.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

  • Improperly discarded cigarette causes fire that killed 11-year-old boyMore>>

  • 11-year-old boy killed in New Britain fire

    11-year-old boy killed in New Britain fire

    Tuesday, October 6 2015 4:06 PM EDT2015-10-06 20:06:11 GMT
    Cade Johnson Jr., 11, was killed in a fire in New Britain Tuesday morning(WFSB photo)Cade Johnson Jr., 11, was killed in a fire in New Britain Tuesday morning(WFSB photo)
    A school official confirmed to Eyewitness News Tuesday morning that an 11-year-old boy was killed in the blaze at 760 East St.More >
    A school official confirmed to Eyewitness News Tuesday morning that an 11-year-old boy was killed in the blaze at 760 East St.More >