Community rallies behind family after 11-year-old dies in fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Community rallies behind family after 11-year-old dies in fire

Posted: Updated:
'Improperly discarded smoking materials' cause fire that killed 11-year-old boy (Family photo/WFSB) 'Improperly discarded smoking materials' cause fire that killed 11-year-old boy (Family photo/WFSB)
NEW BRITAIN, CT (WFSB) -

The New Britain community is rallying behind a family who lost an 11-year-old boy to a fire last week.

Investigators said the fire on East Street could have been prevented. They said the cause was an improperly discarded cigarette.

It started on the front porch on Oct. 6.

Neighbors said they’re being tough for the family. They left candles and balloons outside of the house.

"I was astounded, dumb founded by the news,” said Greg Gardner, J. Timothy’s Taverne. “It was heartbreaking."

News of the tragic fire spread as fast as the flames did.

Some residents were forced to jump out of windows of the multi-family house, according to fire officials.

Firefighters said they tried to get to 11-year-old Cade Townsend IV up in his third floor bedroom, but they couldn’t make it.

Those who knew the family said they knew they had to step in and help.

“When this happened I don't think anybody even thought twice about jumping in and doing what we could to help him,” said Tim Osuch, J. Timothy’s Taverne.

Cade’s father, also named Cade, works as a chef at J. Timothy’s Taverne in Plainville. The staff there started a GoFundMe page. In just eight days, more than $25,000 was raised for the Townsends.

As the family tried to find a way to move on, they said the boy’s father stopped in just to say how much they appreciated the help.

"He started talking to us,” Osuch said. “He couldn't believe how amazing the effort was to support him and his family." 

Another fundraiser is planned for the family in just a few weeks. Click here for more information on it.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.