Carbon Monoxide emergency hospitalizes 7, including children, in - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Carbon Monoxide emergency hospitalizes 7, including children, in Vernon

Posted: Updated:
Seven people, including five children, were hospitalized with possible CO poisoning in Vernon. (WFSB photo) Seven people, including five children, were hospitalized with possible CO poisoning in Vernon. (WFSB photo)
VERNON, CT (WFSB) -

Dispatchers said two families in a Vernon home were been sent to the hospital after possible carbon monoxide exposure.

Firefighters said they were called to a home at 104 Grand Ave. around 5:30 a.m. Monday after receiving reports that the residents inside may have been exposed to CO.

They said three adults and four children were transported to the hospital. One of the adults was found unresponsive.

Jennifer Shivers and her four other children were evaluated next door, but they did not appear to be experiencing the same effects.

"I was definitely very nervous because we actually had the same problem in our house before, a couple months back," Shivers said. "So, it made me very nervous for this to happen again."

Shivers said she and her children were sound asleep when it happened.

"The first thing I did was grab my phone because I didn't know who it was and I said who's in the house," she told Eyewitness News. "Then I saw that it was the firemen coming in and they said we had to be evacuated right away because there was CO next door."

Firefighters believe the furnace was the cause. They registered levels eight times the acceptable amount.

"Fortunately, for the occupants there it was a small fraction of what really causes ill effects of carbon monoxide levels," said Assistant Fire Chief Stan Landry, Vernon Fire Department.

Everyone is believed to be ok.

Shivers and her children were checked out on site.

While Shivers' home was equipped with a CO detector, firefighters said her neighbors' home did not.

"They don't have one, which I think is very scary," she said.

It's a lesson Shivers said she's learned twice now.

"Whenever I move, I'm going to make sure I have smoke detectors and CO detectors because those are really, really important to keep your family safe," she said.

"Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every living space or every floor inside the living space and outside the sleeping areas, just like smoke detectors," Landry said.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.