Family says teen involved in officer stabbing is pregnant - WFSB 3 Connecticut


Family says teen involved in officer stabbing is pregnant

Posted: Updated:
Marisol Ortiz (New Britain police) Marisol Ortiz (New Britain police)

The family of a pregnant New Britain woman claims she was shot by a stun gun and thrown to the ground by officers after she allegedly stabbed two of them.

Police were called to a home on Chestnut Street on Friday evening where an argument reportedly started.

The teen’s mother, Maria Ortiz, said she usually calls the police when her daughter, 18-year-old Marisol Ortiz, gets upset as a way to calm her down.

Maria Ortiz said her daughter has mental disabilities and was not taking her medication when three officers responded to the home.

New Britain police said three officers were injured after Marisol Ortiz allegedly stabbed two of them and bit another.

At one point, police said the teen got very violent and pulled out the knife and stabbed one officer in the leg.

Another officer jumped in to get the knife and was cut on the hand, and a third officer was bit.

However, her family said the officers charged at the teen because she had a knife.

“When she went to take it (knife) out, she didn't have a chance to (stab the officers). They were all on top of her fighting with her with the knife and everything,” Maria Ortiz said, who added that her daughter is three months pregnant.

“They tased her and she's pregnant, they went on top of her while she is pregnant. And that's not right,” Maria Ortiz said.

The family said the officers aren’t being truthful.

“All we heard is ‘the officer got stabbed,’ nothing about the officer getting bit, nothing was said there at the scene when everything went down,” said the teen’s sister Carmen Huertas.

“They should be honest and tell the truth on what really happened because I don't think it's right for them to lie. Because they know my daughter didn't take the knife and stab at him,” Maria Ortiz said.

Marisol Ortiz is due back in court next month. Her bond is set at $750,000.

Police said they are there to help people, and said that is what they did when Maria Ortiz called them.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.